Tuesday, June 14, 2011

BONK!


...more like BANG! CRASH! KABOOM!
lilly jo took her first big fall this morning, and it was 100% my fault. we were leaving the park and she wanted to walk down off the curb by herself. she's always been a cautious one when it comes to stepping down curbs and steps so the fact that she wanted to made me think for a second that she'd be able to make it off this curb safely, and i was proud of her for wanting to try. i defintely should have thought that through for more than a second. duh. i'll spare you the details of the grief i've been giving myself since 10am this morning...
but needless to say, she seems to be ok. i immediately called seth, who works right down the road from the park and he came over pronto. in the meantime i called my mom (who works at a pediatrican's office), our pediatrician, and my sister (an ICU nurse). bases covered.
i've been monitoring her and she's doing fine, but we'll still keep a close eye on her for the next 72 hrs like our pediatrician recommends.
when i think back over this morning i'm so thankful God was clearly watching over us. the fact that she didn't break her nose is an absolute miracle to me - her face truly broke her fall, there's no denying that. and it was wonderful that seth could come so quickly to see lilly jo and help me get it together.
she has a few other bumps and scrapes, but other than the enormous goose egg on her head, you wouldn't know anything happened this morning.
tough little girl she is!


Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Kara @ Just1Step said...

Aw poor girl. Don't feel bad Rebecca, we can't be perfect mothers. I was sleeping on a futon at a friend's house the other night, and in the morning Krew woke up at like 6am so I laid him in bed with me hoping to get a few more minutes of shut-eye. All of a sudden I heard "Tha-WOMP" and looked over and he had fallen off the futon and was jammed between it and the wall. His poor head was the only part of his body that didn't fit through, so he was kinda stuck with his head holding him up. I felt absolutely horrible.

Mrs. SBA said...

Hey Rebecca! The exact same thing happened to me last month. We were at the park and Eli stepped off the curb (I really thought he would be fine) and whamm... I will post a pic of his scrape (it was sooo awful-the whole left side of his face). Good thing they are tough!

Alisa said...

Don't beat yourself up over this. This happens to us all! When Evan was that age I reached under the sink while he was in the tub to grab a washcloth.... in the 2 seconds I didn't have a hand on him he decided to stand up and then... you guessed it--- FALL. He literally "killed" his two front teeth and they are slowly turning gray. But he's just fine.

And yesterday we were walking down the sidewalk and Emmie walked right into a table and fell to the ground on her back. Blood was everywhere. Some onlookers called 911 and the EMS arrived. We had to go to the ER and she now has stitches.

This is the hardest part about being a mom, isn't it?

Debbie said...

Oh no!! Poor thing! Don't beat yourself up Rebecca. I'm sure this is the first of many bumps and scrapes and falls :) It's a good thing God makes us resilient!